1. Thank you for raising me, for believing in me, and for always doing your best despite having so little to work with.
2. Thank you for the years spent camping, fishing, canoeing, and in general living a life of meaning.
3. Thank you for accepting me into your life, your family, your heart. You’re like a second mother to me.
4. Thank you for seeing something in me to love, for always being honest, and especially for being you.
5. Thank you for being a friend I can always count on, and for all the awesome writer’s nights.
6. Thank you for accepting who I am, both as a friend and a roommate.
7. Thank you for still being there, even after six years of few phone calls and even fewer visits.
8. Thank you for being a true friend, and a great creative advisor.
9. Thank you for being so patient and optimistic, even in the face of an awful exam. (It rubs off!)
10. Thank you for being passionate about what you teach, and inspiring me to be passionate, as well.
11. Thank you for believing in me as a leader, for your hard work, and for being more than just the people I work with.
12. Thank you for being in my life. Even if we don’t call each other, even if we only meet in passing, every single person in my life has contributed something to make me who I am today. If I can’t say I’m strong, I’m still stronger than I was a year ago; if I can’t say I’m smart, I still know more than I did last week. 一期一会 means that each and every encounter between two people is as meaningful as it is transient — even if we don’t notice at first.